Accessibility at The Norwood Fair
It is our aim at the Norwood Fair to ensure that all of our guests have a fun and enjoyable experience during their visit.
If you have a disability or are visiting us with someone who does, please know that we are working hard to make sure we have amenities that will assist you during your visit to the Norwood Fair. We are proud to have had our efforts recognized in 2018 when we received the Peterborough County Accessibility Recognition Award. Please see our map of the Fairgrounds to help locate these services.
- Designated paved handicap parking is located around the grounds, the largest lot being in front of the Norwood High school on Elm St. There are also lots located at the Legion, Hucklebug Daycare and in front of the Asphodel-Norwood Community Center. Parking is Free.
- We have four separately located modern, wheelchair accessible washrooms on our grounds. We also have a family washroom conveniently located in the exhibition building. All our washrooms have updated change tables.
- Our barns and buildings, including the EIEIO petting zoo all have concrete floors (with the exception of the cattle barn) and most of the pathways between buildings are either hard topped or packed gravel to make getting around easier.
- There are almost 50 picnic tables located around the grounds for sitting areas to relax, have some french fries, or enjoy something you have brought with you.
- We have First Aid available on the grounds provided by our local fire department, Asphodel-Norwood Fire and Rescue.
Visiting us with a person with exceptionalities?
Here is a few bits of information that may help to make your visit as enjoyable as possible:
- The Fair opens to the public at 9 a.m. however the majority of our visitors come after the midway starts running at 10:30 a.m. The buildings and grounds are generally the quietest (for people and noise) just after opening.
- The EIEIO petting zoo has secure metal penning and critter cages where you can pick up small animals like bunnies or chicks. This is where you and your child can see and/or touch other farm animals up close.
- Our large poultry barn can be very loud at times with so many different types of birds, geese and waterfowl all in one building. Also, our livestock barns can on occasion have clippers and industrial blowers running that can be quite loud as our animals are groomed and prepared for show time.
- Our Kidz Koral is located in the Norwood-Asphodel Community Center and tends to be a quieter space where families can take a time out, enjoy some kids entertainment or play in a corn table. We also have a large well equipped municipal park located just outside the Kidz Koral, if your exceptional kids need some space to use some energy.
Entering items in our School Fair
If your exceptional person is school aged, please check out our school fair book (from the link on the left, Section 70, page 18) to see what they can enter and be part of the fun! And possibly win cash! We have a section specifically for students with exceptionalities to compete against their peers, who are also working at their own levels. It’s currently being updated, so please have patience with us. Entries must be delivered on the Thursday (From 1 to 6 p.m.) before the fair to be judged. All entries are then proudly displayed in the Exhibition building, for all to see! And don’t forget to check out the giant pumpkins located just down the hall, they’re always a fair favourite too!
The Norwood Fair received the Peterborough County Accessibility Award in 2018, accepting the award is Fair Manager Paul Quinlan and 2018-2019 Fair President Kerstin Walsh.